When we talk about Internet of Things, it can de defined as the connection between things (quotidian or not) with some other things or human beings, thanks to interaction between sensors and the Internet. Let’s think in, for example, our home plants, which by buried sensors near to roots, detect lack of dampness or nutrients and, by WI-FI, they activate an automatic irrigation dispositive and a liquid dung diffuser, while send us an alert. Or then, our bycycle have some detectors which determine a low chain’s lubrication level or air pressure in wheels, and by our home wireless network alerts us by whatsap or facebook about the issue to our mobile phone.
Indeed, this innovation is already a reality in sectors as domotic in some homes, vehicles and other less common environments (military, product quality, etc…) until being able to conclude in our planet there are more things linked to the global network than people. But, ¿could it be more present in Risk Prevention and Health and Safety world to decrease accidents? Of course yes, and will be an excelent tool for occupational accidents and sickness prevention. That’s why the next innovative proposals in this field would be a fact in OHS and Risk Prevention so soon:
- Presence of microsensors in mandatory day-to-day PPEs (safety footwear, glasses, safety vest), that by the employee’s movement (like some existing wrist electronic bands that count steps) will confirm us by WI-FI their usage by workers, at the same time they record the times, and will be able to alert its non-use in a computer screen monitored by the Safety Responsible.
- Installing muscle detectors in workers welding screens, which will switch off the blowlamp by workshop’s WI-FI network, in case of exceeding exposure to radiation levels, or by detecting worker is not using it in a right vertical position.
- Setting in our safety helmets some cells linked to smoke detectors. They will alert us in case of fire or alarm activation, by a clearly perceptible vibration in our PPE.
- Having sensitive devices in machine’s moving parts that, linked to a worker’s wristband, will detect how close are this parts from employee’s extremities, and will stop the machine, avoiding possible negligences or absent-mindedness that may result in serious entrapments.
- Attaching noise level sensors to our acoustic protection. They will alert us when protection is not enough by being in a noise overexposure situation, recording data constantly in a database in our computer.
- Microdetectors integrated in safety vests, helmets or safety footwear that will react theirselves when the worker is under raised loads of a bridge derrick or close to forklift trucks or transpallets, stopping automatically these equipments in a safety way, or limiting the load raising by acoustic alarms activation.
- Minialtimeters installed in our safety footwear that will alert us by smartphone APP about necessity of using personal or collective protection equipments for works at height.
- Presence of miniluxmeters in offices that will react when lightning decreases below 500 lux, activating leds or opening automatically office’s blinds by WI-FI network during the day.
Across Europe, there exist already some active projects to create a social network of things, where we can connect our smart-things, and these will be sending us data, messages and results about how is being your work.
Maybe some of the suggested ideas may seem science fiction to you, but soon they can become a reality in many advanced companies or startups. The true is that this is a fields with huge innovation possibilities and, why not, a business chance. It has been estimated that internet things business will move around EUR 10.900 billions in five years.
The company “Cisco” made a survey to 7500 business leaders along 12 countries concluding that the activity sectors will be more benefit are health service, transport service, banks and services.
¿Do you have other ideas to apply Internet of Things to improve workers health and safety in Risk Prevention environment?
PrevenControl es la firma especializada en seguridad y salud laboral que propone soluciones eficaces e innovadoras para la mejora del negocio y la reputación de sus clientes a través de la consultoría, el uso de la tecnología y la formación.