I´m sure I´m not the only one who gets sometimes into a mess when writing in English about occupational safety and health and refer to it with abbreviations. You know: H&S, OSH, OHS, OSHA, OSHAS, EHS, OSHAS 18001, HSE, OH&S, EH&S,… HAAAAALT!!.
Knowing these safety and health acronyms is basic, but this doesn´t mean that are clear at all, specially if English is not your mother tongue or you aren´t used to write such terms in English.
This is a simple but necessary post just to arrange these “letters”. Starting with the simplest:
- HS means Health and Safety, which can be also found as SH, Safety and Health.
- OSH is the Occupational Safety and Health. It also can be referred as OHS, Occupational Health and Safety.
- This is not the same than OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration of the United States Department of Labor) and, extended with EU, refers to the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work: EU-OSHA. Under this term there are also well-known safety and health corporations in several countries, such as Australia, Malta,…
- Take care the order how you write “H” and “S”, you could reach OHSA, the Canadian Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- With one more letter, exists OSHAS. This term is related to the OSHAS 18001 British Standard for occupational health and safety management systems.
- When Safety and Health is carried out jointly with environment works in a company, the word to use is EHS (Environment, Health and Safety). This is better than using HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) because…..
- … HSE is the acronym for the Health and Safety Executive, the national independent watchdog for work-related health, safety and illness of Great Britain.
Finally, there are variations such as H&S (Health and Safety), OH&S (for Occupational Health and Safety) or EH&S (for Environment, health and Safety), that mean the same than the basic HS, OSH and EHS but with an elegant touch.
I think that is all… or do you know any other way to refer to it?.
PrevenControl es la firma especializada en seguridad y salud laboral que propone soluciones eficaces e innovadoras para la mejora del negocio y la reputación de sus clientes a través de la consultoría, el uso de la tecnología y la formación.