One of the greatest contributions of the Internet is that provides direct access to information sources regarding specific matters. We can take official information and draw our own conclusions without the bias of traditional media, intermediaries to which we had to go when searching for certain content.
Web pages and profiles in social networks are the main services in the Internet. Latest, for the fast and massive access they provide. The firsts ones, for the quality of the published content. Making a comparison, to consult the social networks (Twitter, Facebook,…) is like placing in front a newsstand and check the headlines in a diagonal reading. Entering a webpage is like purchasing the magazine we are interested in and read its content exhaustively.
This is an index of most relevant Internet sites, in my opinion, about safety health and environment.
Sites with mandatory content and regular check.
- Official site of the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work (EU-OSHA). As a part of it, the European Risk Observatory is in charge of the detection of risks emerging from new technologies, informs about new trends and forecasts further changes at work.
- Official site of the European Environment Agency (EEA). Its air pollution data centre has a valuable collection of documentation, charts, interactive maps and graphics. Data centres about another aspects are also suitable (water, soil, climate, biodiversity,…).
- The official site of the European Emissions Trading System. Is the economic tool established by the European Union to cap emissions to the atmosphere. Speaking about market, it is interesting to check the value of a ton of compensated carbon in the stock market. The real truth which in Europe is not having good times.
- The European Institute of Innovation and Technology publishes the latest researches and technological advances clearly focused towards sustainable development and social responsibility, where risk prevention and environment have a key role.
- In Spain, the website of Spanish Institute of Safety and Hygiene at Work, for its good and practical technical documentation.
Reference sites, but not legally binding (in the European Union).
Despite that its content is not mandatory (in EU), there are international renowned organisations of which you´ll get a global point of view and know what is being done around the world:
- British Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is enrolled in a deep revision of H&S regulations. It´s a reference to take into account since the changes applied may be the coming regulations in Europe.
- USA and Canada are countries with high H&S standards and marked orientation of a “preventive culture” beyond the labour scope. Sites of US Department of Labor and Canada´s National Centre for Occupational Health and Safety inspire safety culture from all quarters.
- Endorsed by President Obama latests statements, the US Environmental Protection Agency is a worldwide reference to know the way of the greatests global decisions.
- EHS Today is a US private publication covering environment, health and safety in one single site.
- The Climate Reality Project is an influential initiative with worldwide scope about environment and climate change. Behind the project is Al Gore. Another great ex-politician became today as relevant environmental activist is Mikhail Gorvachev and its Green Cross International.
Interesting profiles to follow in social networks.
- Twitter account “The Keeling Curve” provides a daily CO2 level measured at Maula Loa observatory (Hawaii), considered the global reference value for its location. Las month of may the level reached the maximum value in history: 400ppm.
- Besides the content itself that they spread, which can be also found in each european administration (above), there are 3 european responsible who are an example transparent attitude and close to the citizenship through their Twitter accounts. These are: László Andor (Employment, social affairs and inclusion), Connie Hedegaard (climate change) y Janez Potocnik (environment).
International organisations for specific consultation.
- Despite it´s not usual, great changes or global troubles lead to international entities. One of the latests cases was the horse meat fraud. When this kind of issues arise, superior organisations such as International Labour Organisation or World Health Organisation are the more solvent source for information.
Do you have any other source to share with all of us?.
PrevenControl es la firma especializada en seguridad y salud laboral que propone soluciones eficaces e innovadoras para la mejora del negocio y la reputación de sus clientes a través de la consultoría, el uso de la tecnología y la formación.